Saturday, August 6, 2016

When Reporters Date Sources: Not a Good Idea

 
English: Cupid Cupid weather vane Pentlow, Essex.
English: Cupid Cupid weather vane Pentlow, Essex. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Not a good idea at all says veteran reporter Jackie MacMullan

“I’m a journalist,’’ she said, “and sometimes I wonder if people know what that means anymore. I know when I became a journalist, you had to be objective. That was the rule. That was what you were supposed to be. Sometimes you really liked somebody and they were lousy at what they do, and you had to be willing to write that they were lousy at what they do. And sometimes, someone could be a real idiot, a real jerk, but perform at a very high level. You had to do that, praise them, as well. It’s impossible to be objective about someone when you’re in a personal relationship.
“Now, this isn’t the first time this has happened, and it won’t be the last time,” MacMullan said. “But it disappoints me nonetheless. I don’t think either one of them would deny that what they did was unprofessional. There’s no place for it in the business. I’m talking about my business. And my business is journalism.”

No comments: